O'rta maktabda (hozir ham) men sinfdoshimning masxarabozi edim.
I had quite a theatrical English teacher one year – his name was Mr. Morgan. Most of my time with Mr. Morgan was spent outside the classroom because I couldn't appreciate Shakespeare. It drove Mr. Morgan crazy.
Bir safar janob Morgan o'zining ochiqchasiga Yel-ish talaffuzida Shekspirning Hamletda qanday adabiy uslublardan foydalanganini so'raganda, men xavotir bilan qo'limni ko'tardim.
Janob Morgan xo'rsindi: "Ha, janob Karr?"
"Oksimoronlar", deb javob berdim.
"Oksimoronlar?" janob Morganni uchirdi: "Siz hatto oksimoron nima ekanligini bilasizmi, janob Karr?"
“Sure!” I said, “It's the juxtaposition of antithetical terms in an expression, Mr. Morgan.”
Though I was correct, Mr. Morgan still couldn't grow to appreciate my sense of humor and he showed me the door. It did get quite a laugh from the class (after the initial gasp of hearing multi-syllable words coming from my mouth).
I've never forgotten the definition for an oxymoron… and I'm surprised at their excessive and, perhaps, growing usage when marketing technology today. If you want to sound like you have a really cool product or service, throw in an oxymoron into your marketing or technology presentation. It appears folks love it nowadays. In fact, quite a few of these are now in Geekipedia.
- Tezkor rivojlanish - Ushbu ishlab chiquvchilar kulgili. Chiqarish hali kechikmoqda.
- Amaliy dasturlash interfeysi - xuddi dastur dasturlarining o'zi kabi.
- Sun'iy intellekt – it's not artificial, it's real.
- Energiya alternativalari - energiyaga yagona muqobil - bu qorong'u materiya.
- Do'stona URL – what's a mean URL?
- Internet radiosi – if it's on the Internet, it's not radio
- 100 dollarlik noutbuk - energiya? Internetga ulanish?
- Aniq betaraflik - hech kim eshitmagan Akamai or S3?
- Foydalanuvchi interfeysi – it's still for the computer, not me.
- Qidiruv mexanizmi marketingi – it's not marketing (sorry), it's placement.
- Choksiz integratsiya – if it's integrated, it means there is a seam somewhere.
What's your favorite oxymoron?